Friday, January 4, 2008

What Is Front Porch Attitude?

What is front porch attitude? Well, it's not an easy thing to explain, but I'll see if I can try to explain it by telling you a story.
Before my wife and I moved from Texas to Oregon, we owned a beautiful house that was built in the early 1900s. As was common in those early days, our house had a large L-shaped font porch. The sides of this porch came up about 3 feet and it had screening up to the roof. It had beautiful banisters and it was totally enclosed.
During the evening, my wife would work at the local Waldenbooks until 10 p.m., and I would stay at home with our four year old daughter, Jessica. Most nights, Jessica and I would sit out on that front porch in my large rocking chair waiting for her mom to come home as I rocked her to sleep. The chirping of View the rest of this article